Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Singapore Sandbar in the Singapore River

I am producing a moving image of the Singapore River. Previously I did make a version of the map based on a number of historical maps, but as I was also building many other things simultaneously so I was unable to verify the accuracy of all those maps. I am now cleaning up the images and cross-checking them with other maps.



I drew this on 27 July 2010 last year. Some artistic liberties have been taken in this version to flatten it to a line.

This year, to make it more accurate, I will also try to add in the sandbar that is sometimes spoken about in the Singapore River. This sandbar existed far back all the way to the 14th century during the days when Singapore was called Temasek and there are a number of references to it in old maps of Singapore. Some very interesting information can be found here by another map sleuth. Interestingly it is also mentioned in this game: World of Temasek...




A FEW HOURS LATER...



ALAMAK IM STILL IN THE WORLD OF TEMASEK WHAT A DIGRESSION

Props to Jianwei and all the other people at Magma Studios who made this lovely game. Runs really smooth on my browser. Picking mangos here... I electronically wipe a nostalgic tear thinking of the first time I started playing Second Life and went around looking for the money trees. Walking around and around the money tree to find the precise angle at which the flat money icons could be seen. (OMG ITS BEEN ALMOST 5 YEARS SINCE THEN)

No comments:

Post a Comment